FEMA Preliminary Flood Maps (FIRMs)
We will post updates to this webpage as information becomes available.
TIMELINE UPDATE 11/21/18: In August, the CIty of Urbandale received the six-month notice of the finalized new maps. The new preliminary maps will become effective February 1, 2019. All LOMA-OAS applications should wait until December 1, 2018 to send in your documentation (see below for more info). In order to continue participating in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), the City must adopt the updated maps as well as update our existing floodplain development regulations prior to February 1. The City will host Public Hearings for these changes, but it will be difficult to address impacts to specific properties during that process. Therefore, we are hosting an Open House to answer specific questions about individual properties. You may also contact the Engineering Office at 278-3950 or email@example.com with questions. All upcoming meetings will be held at City Hall at 3600 86th Street:
- FIRM Open House, Thursday, November 29, 2018 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m .
- Planning and Zoning Commission, Monday, December 10, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
- City Council, Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Preliminary Flood Maps:
Web Maphttps://maps.urbandale.org/fema/. The webmap has a number of features to help you understand the flood plain maps and appy for a LOMA-OAS.
- LAYERS: Click the button in the upper right that looks like a stack of paper to select layers: the "Flood Hazard Area February 2019" in blue is the new maps for 2019. Turn on the "FEMA Services - LOMC" to view previously issued LOMAs for the City. You can click on the LOMA shape for more information and a hyperlink to the LOMA document.
- BACKGROUND: Click the button that looks like a window to select a map background or an aerial background.
- PRINT: Click the "print" button in the upper right to generate a PDF of your map view.
- COORDINATES: Click the cross-hairs in the lower left, then click the location of your property. The coordinate read-out will be the lat/long of the location. You will need to click the cross-hairs again to disable the coordinate tool.
LOMCs: If you currently have an effective Letters of Map Change (LOMC), such as a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or a Letter of Map Revision (LOMR), you may view these on the above web map. LOMCs listed as Not Incorporated have not been included in the mapping revisions, but will be revalidated free-of-charge one day after the revised FIRMs become effective. LOMCs listed as Superseded will no longer be in effect when the revised FIRMs become effective. If you have a LOMC that is not shown on our web map, please contact our office.
LOMA-OAS: For properties where the 100-year flood area touches the parcel but the building structure is clearly outside this area, the property owner may request a “Letter of Map Amendment – Out as Shown” (LOMA-OAS). PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS NO DEADLINE FOR APPLYING FOR THE LOMA-OAS. Property owners may complete this process at anytime. For the new maps, see updated directions below for creating a FIRMette. You may apply for a LOMA-OAS under the new maps starting December 2018.
To apply for a LOMA-OAS, you need the following items:
- STEP 1a - INSTRUCTIONS for filling out Application: http://www.iafpm.com/LOMA-OAS.pdf
- STEP 1b - APPLICATION: The LOMA-OAS application uses the MT-EZ form - but DO NOT follow the instructions in this form, follow the instructions in the LOMA-OAS link above. You will also need info from the items below to complete this form. MT_EZ_ApplicationOnly.pdf. ADDITIONAL INFO FOR FORM: The "Community Number" is 190230. The Map Panel is the last four digits of the "FEMA FIRM Panels" on the wembap layer. The Coordinates are WGS84 and can be found from Google Maps
- STEP 2- PLAT: Guide to Download Plat from the County Recorders' websites
- STEP 3 - WEBMAP: On our https://maps.urbandale.org/fema webmap, turn on "Flood Hazard Area Effective February 2019", Parcel Boundaries, and Aerial Background (see screenshot in Step 2 guide), then click the print button in the upper right corner to create PDF of your property.
- STEP 4 - FIRMette (new maos): Guide to Create a FIRMette of the new Preliminary maps. This FIRMette can be difficult to create - if you have trouble, please email your address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will create it for you as a PDF.
- FEMA has a list of FAQs on their website at http://www.fema.gov/homeowners-frequently-asked-questions.
- The Iowa DNR has also provided information on the new maps at www.iowafloodmaps.org
- Please contact at our office at 278-3950 or email@example.com if you need assistance with FIRMs or other information.
- Please contact Jason Conn with the Iowa DNR for information on flood insurance. Jason.Conn@dnr.iowa.gov, 515-725-8333.
- FIRMette (old): Guide to Create a FIRMette of the current (expiring) maps This is included for reference only - LOMA-OAS applications should use the new FIRMettes noted above.